Simple Musings

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Baby Stuff

This morning as I sat out on the terrace (ok, so it is a carport, but dreams are cheap) I watched the morning parade of birds as they took turns at the bird bath. We have blue birds, robins, blue jays, mocking birds, blackbirds, red finches, a pair of doves and a lone woodpecker. I noticed that a robin was hopping around and onto low perches not far from the ground. I figured out why when I saw the baby bird under a bush not far away. Mama was trying desperately to get it to fly out of harm's way. The wee baby had no tail feathers so I estimated that is was quite young, and sure enough, it could only get a few inches from the ground. I suppose it will become a delectable meal for the neighbor's cat. I know that this is the natural order of things, but babies are so sweet, innocent and helpless. Teary situation.

Our other babies are coming along quite well, though. The little garden that could! I get totally mushy when discussing my small tomatoes, teeny cucumbers and mini squash. I admit it. There is definately something about producing something with one's own hands that brings out those maternal feelings. We talk to them, caress them...........oh well, this is starting to get out of hand........Did I mention the itty-bitty watermelon?

I was able to pull enough carrots for supper tonight. Other than using dill for potato salad, this will be our first garden meal. Maybe I will use the good china and light some candles?

My moss rose began to bloom a couple of days ago. I have been nursing those babies for 2 months now. They are slow to start, but so worth it. They will liven up the front porch until frost gets them. My kind of flower.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger knowitallman said…

    Would you choose a muddy, stinky puddle or a clean, fresh bird bath? The choice is not just obvious to humans, but birds have a distinct preference. Once you have decided to lend a helping hand to your local birds, make the trek to find a bath that fits into your style and design of your yard. There are tons of options, from baths that borrow style from the white marble columns of ancient Greece to fantastically modern creations that could double for an avant garde statue. Find out more about bird exotic

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger knowitallman said…

    What better place to put a bath for your birds than up in the trees? Choose a hanging bird bath that will suspend in your trees so that your birds will not have to leave home to get a drink of water or take a bath. Consider hanging a bird bath near a window so that you can enjoy the birds while they splish and splash. Find out more about bird florida watching

     

Post a Comment

<< Home