Simple Musings

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Making a house a home

I have lived in 25 houses in my lifetime and that doesn't count traipsing around the country with a travel trailer in tow. That comes up to a move about every 2 years. Of course, it didn't happen quite that way, but close.

My body and soul are just plain tired. It is time to settle down and call it quits. So what exactly makes a house a home? Maybe I just don't know because I have never stayed in one that long! But it is time to find out.

I have always had this picture in my mind as to what my "dream home" would be like. A quirky cottage with stone floors and arched doors and windows. Flowers everywhere. Hidden paths and a small fish pool.

Well so much for dreams. We have come full circle to a home that my brother and I inherited from my father. So, as long as I can pay the taxes, I have a home. Problem is that this is not the home I had invisioned. Plain brick, bare, brown on a city lot with some questionable neighbors. The inside is definately not something I would have designed. No wait! I did design it. (forgot about that) But it was designed for someone besides me.

Ok, I know I sound whiny and totally ungrateful. Whiny I am, but not ungrateful. I am very grateful. By not having a mortgage, I have the luxury of not working at the present time. I have all of the time in the world to make my house into a home, so why am I not doing it? Maybe I just don't know how to settle down. Or maybe I am afraid that I will decide to pull up roots again. Someone shoot me if I even look at another house with a gleam in my eye!

I also feel like I am in a holding pattern. With Gramps living with us, I don't want to do any big altering to the house. After all, this house was originally built for them even though they never lived in it until Gramps had to come and stay with us because he is now unable to take care of himself without Granny. Also, remodeling costs money. So at this point we have to just wait and do maintenance as needed. It is hard for me to put my stamp on anything until I can change it to suit myself. I will admit that I am spoiled. In a previous life (marriage) my husband was a builder/whatever was needed type of guy, so I could eventually have things remodeled. So now I learn patience. I hope I learn it soon.

Maybe I will go and hang a picture and plump some pillows and try to figure out just why I can't be satisfied.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Serendipity-

    I have a feeling you will create your dream home from the gift you've inherited.

    Most of us live small compared to our youthful dreams but life is educational and I no longer desire the large life I once longed for.

    There is much to be said for humble living on a human scale. We all have difficulty being satisfied with simple lives, because we're immersed in a culture of greed that says "you are what you own", which is a big part of the challenge.

    Our little 950 sq. ft. cabin---on less than 1/4 acre in an old subdivision of somewhat blighted structures near a noisy airport(surrounded by questionable neighbors, including sometimes the occaisional drug-dealer)---once seemed confining to us, but we've made it our own little paradise where we strive to be good & helpful neighbors, hopefully inspiring others to do the same.

    Our lower middle-class neighborhood leaves much to be desired at times but I'd much rather live here, among these folks, than in one of those McMansions up on the hill.

    Love, Jim

    PS

    Thanks for the welcome home (to the PTF forum), it's good to be back!

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Get-A-Free-House said…

    How Would You Like To Know How YOU Can Live In A Beautiful NEW House That Is Custom-Designed To YOUR Specifications.........And At NO COST To You?

    You CAN Do It. And It's Not Hard To Do.... IF You Know HOW.

    Don't Let This Pass You By Without At Least Taking A Look.

    The Only Catch Is That You HAVE To Have An Income ABOVE $21,000...... And......You HAVE To Follow The Easy Instructions Provided To You.

    Get-A-Free-House.com

     
  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Online Incomes said…

    Hey nice blog, really nice! I just want to let you know I have an lake vacation
    site - blog too!
    It's a free information site with tips and secrets for saving big money on your next vacation!

    It mostly deals with lake vacation plus other stuff
    You Can Save Up to 50% off your next vacation
    You Should check it out if you get the chance :-)

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Blogger tipsonrelationships said…

    This is a terrific blog on chemical ghost music romance video
    . My site on chemical ghost music romance video
    is also a great place to get some valuable information. Stop by when you get a sec....

    Thanks

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger TWPAdmin said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a marriage ceremony
    . It pretty much covers marriage ceremony
    related stuff. It's full of resources and articles. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger ebaypowerseller2006 said…

    For more information related to what is in this blogfree online dating service
    , you should stop by and see this site. It is full of free online dating service
    related articles and information.

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger officialloversguide said…

    Hey....you have a wonderful fast divorce
    blog here. I also have a fast divorce
    site full of useful information. Please stop by when you get time.

    Thank you

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger tipsonrelationships said…

    This is a terrific blog on my chemical romance tour date
    . My site on my chemical romance tour date
    is also a great place to get some valuable information. Stop by when you get a sec....

    Thanks

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Richard K said…

    Hi, your blog is fantastic! Well done!

    I have a arizona travel site/blog. It pretty much covers arizona travel related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home